Re: Distributor

To: "Olenick, Jamison" <Olenick@ssims.nci.nih.gov>
Subject: Re: Distributor
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 18:48:06 -0400
At 09:14 AM 9/11/00 -0400, Olenick, Jamison wrote:

>   I just converted #23 from points to breakerless ignition.  I removed the
>distributor, cap, rotor, computer, and wiring from a 1983 Jeep Wagoneer
>(with 360).
>   My car runs but I have been having problems getting all cyllinders to
>fire.  I noticed it (besides lack of power) when I was trying to set the
>timing and was putting the timing light on several different plug wires.  I
>noticed that 2 of my cyllinders do not fire every time...maybe 60% or so.  I
>changed the cap and rotor and still have the same problem.
>   Could there be something wrong with the distributor itself?
>   Any suggestions on something to change next?

Jamie,

   Glad to see that you got it to fire.  Weren't you having problems getting
it to even fire?  What did you do to get it to fire?

   If you replaced the points then a bad bearing - causing a wabbly shaft
shouldn't make any difference.  The only other 2 things I can think of
are the rotor button, and the plug wires.