Re: Yet another door question

To: jessn@mindspring.com, bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Yet another door question
From: "K M" <symbiotic@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 20:12:25 PDT
>What I think is happening is that the switch inside the car isn't
>activating the whole air system. Am I right that there are two parts to
>air doors? The function that simply releases air, and the function that
>more or less sends the process in reverse and suctions the door against
>the car? That's what happens when I use the outside switch to let the
>door down...it seems to suction the door against the car when it gets
>fully closed...
>Jess

Here is how the system works.  Briefly (without taking into account the
compressor), there is a storage tank with air that goes to a normally closed
solenoid (I am doing only one door, it is just the same for the other one).
When the switch is pushed to the open position (either the inside or outside
switch), the switch transfers electricity to the solenoid coil that allows
air into the cylinder and to the normally closed leg of the down solenoid.
When the switch is de-energized (in middle position), both the solenoids are
closed and the door stays either up (if cylinder is pressurized) or down (if
no presure in cylinder).

To make the door come down, the down solenoid is energized by the down
position of the switch.  The down solenoid opens and lets all the trapped
air in the cylinder out (keep in mind that the open solenoid is also closed
so no air is coming into thge cylinder).  By Canadian law the door comes
down (Canada did pass the law of gravity, eh).  So, the upshot is that the
switch must do one of three things, energize the up solenoid, the down
solenoid or nothing. One final note to be complete, when up is pushed, the
door latch solenoid is in parallel so it opens the latch also. At least that
is my story and I am sticking with it. Kim