Re: air door solenoid

To: jblair@exis.net, Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: air door solenoid
From: "K M" <symbiotic@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 16:42:01 PST
In my past life I have rebuilt, honestly, hundreds of these.  First, those
solenoids are just a coil and a plunger that has a little rubber seat. That
seat does wear out, but it has thousands and thousands of duty cycles before
it wears out.

The solenoid is either energized or non-energized. So, I don't know why the
lock would effect it at all.  When the door is down, all the solenoids are
unenergized and default closed. When the up is switched, that solenoid is
energized and lets air into the cylinder -- the down solenoid is still
closed.  When the down is pushed, the down is energized and lets the air in
the cylinder escape.

As to rebuilding the solenoid, they come apart real easily -- depending on
the exact style just take the coil off and unscrew the housing. Clean it up
and lube with ATF. Rebuild kits are available at industrial supply stores,
but again it would be very unusual for it to be worn out. Kim