RE: Air Doors vs. Hydraulic

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Air Doors vs. Hydraulic
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 12:23:08 -0400
Joe wrote,

> Just curious about a couple of things:
>
> 1).  What percentage or actual number of Bricklin owners still have
> the original stock hydraulic door system operating in their cars.

Joe, most of the owners I talk to have the air doors.  It is the much
preferred system.  I can only think of 3 to 5 cars that the owners
have told me they still have the original hydrolic doors.

So say 5 out of 100 or about 5%.  If we assume that I'm wrong and
double that figure it's still less than 10%.

> 2).  What percentage or actual number have their car as stock
> original (e.g.: no air system, painted exterior, no modifications, etc.)
> basically original versus modified cars.

If the hydrolic doors are considered a requirement, then again your
probably looking at less that 10%.  I think I understand where you
are comming from, having talked to you about AACA.  However, I don't
know how many of their judges would know enough about the Bricks to
ask to see if it were hydrolic or air.  Also, I think if you talked
to Terry you could probably get some sort of doc. that the air is
semi standard as Bricklin was looking at using that for the 76 cars,
I think.

As to the paint issue.  I don't know that AACA would car if it painted
or not.  Especially as the factory had to paint many cars due to the
fact that the colors on various panels didn't match.  Especially on
the Green cars.  The only requirement for AACA is that if it is
painted, that the paint be one of the original 5 colors.

> 3).  Any good estimated numbers on total Bricklin cars 'out there'
> versus actually registered and insured (project cars versus 'daily' on the
> street running cars).

As to the number of cars out there, I have over 1700 listed in my database.
While there are some dups, indicating multiple owners, I think that there
are at least 1700 cars still around.  I find between 1 to 4 cars a month
that are NOT in my database.  So my guess is that there are over 2,000 car
still around.  Some of them require a lot of work though.

Don't know how many are daily drivers.  I know of about 5 of us on the list
are doing ground up restorations.  I plan on mine be my driver when it's done.

In fact, why don't we all send Joe private email answering his questions about
originality, useage etc.  Then Joe, you could tally the results and give us
a report.

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1109)
71 Saab Sonett III (71500840)    75 Bricklin SV1 (0887)    77 Spitfire

Morgan: www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin: www.bricklin.org