Re: Ford 9" rear end

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ford 9" rear end
From: Parkman Kenneth <Kenneth.Parkman@pwc.ca>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 11:05:50 -0500
> Any body done the swap of the AMC rear to a Ford 9"?

I've done it into a couple of AMC's, it's amazingly easy. The Ford 9"
is available in an assortment of width's. If the Bricklin is the same
as a V8 Hornet (I think so) the Versailles one should be the same
width.  Measure the axle flange to flange to be sure. The spring center
to center width should be within a fraction of an inch, which doesn't
mater. One thing that may be different is the axle tube diameter (mine
was) and you may have to fabricate new spring plates / shock mounts to
match the larger U-bolts.

> The AMC's yoke is set up to take a U joint and the U joint is held in
place by 2 U bolts.  On the Ford rear end, I don't have a yoke.
 I don't really want to cut up my drive shaft.

The Ford 9" has been available for so long in so many varieties that
just about any yoke is available. I believe earlier 1/2 tons used the
same spicer (1310?) series as AMC. There are also varying yolk lengths
available to accommodate the slightly different pinion length of the
Ford compared to the AMC. I was able to find a yoke that allowed me to
use my AMC driveshaft without changes. What it was from I have no idea.
Try a shop that specializes in race car axles as they should have such
knowledge and may even have a yoke. When you change the yoke make sure
the correct preload is maintained on the pinion bearings as there is a
crush collar in there.

Ken