Fw: Is acrylic harder than paint? and door Q

To: "Bricklin" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Is acrylic harder than paint? and door Q
From: "Greg Monfort" <wingracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 12:29:49 -0400

>I just buffed out part of my car 'cause I had some overspray on it.
>did the hood, one fender, the extension and the painted part of the
>bumper.  Wow, what a difference some elbow grease, chemicals and a
>buffing machine can make!  The stuff that I used, first 2500 grit
wet or
>dry, then an intermediate cleaner followed by "haze away" really
did the
>job and made those parts just sparkle.
==========
Don't forget the wax to block UV.
==========

>When I was sanding, I did not remove much at all from the plastic
but
>when I hit the bumper, wham, the paper (and water) was orange.
Just how
>hard is that plastic and how aggressive can I be with it?
==========
The bumper is painted, not acrylic coated.
==========
  I have some
>ripples in part of it and I was thinking about going for it, but I
don't
>want to make things worse.  That bumper sure shined up!
==========
You may sand through the color on the bumpers and mirrors, but the
acrylic is thick enough to sand out ripples and dimples. This
assumes that all Bricklin bodies are fairly uniform in thickness.
==========

>Lastly, has anyone put a skin on a door?  Just what is involved and
how
>hard is it to put on and how hard to remove?  How long of a job?
It's not too bad. You need a 1000 deg heat gun (Grainger # 3KH79, 80
or equal) to soften the glue so you can carefully pry it off with a
putty knife. Heat the metal side being careful not to overheat the
acrylic.When cool, grind all the old glue off. Clean all bonding
surfaces. Reinstall with fresh glue, clamping it in place till it
sets.

GM

Thanks,