Re: Some Brick questions

To: <bricklin@autox.team.net>, "K M" <symbiotic@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Some Brick questions
From: "George J. Malaska" <bricklingeorge@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 22:57:25 -0400
Yes the acrylic does fade. Sometime with hard work and sweat you can at
least get back some of the color and make it more uniform. The white 74 that
I am doing now was not only a little faded, someone had taken a DA sander to
it. It had those little,DEEP, swirl marks that DA's leave. What I did was to
sit down and start block sanding the panels,first with 600 wet or dry(wet of
course),then I went to 1000, , then 1500. After that was done I used the
orange machine rubbing compound, followed by the white polishing compound.
Sand by hand, polish by machine. You will be amazed at how much you can sand
and polish. Don't forget,the acrylics are  50 to 80 thousandths thick. You
can sand and rub alot without hurting them. Just be careful on the corners
and ridges as you can burn them. It's a lot of work, but mine came out like
glass and all the ripples were gone too.
  RE/rear shock mounts. There is no rhyme or reason to which ones break and
which do not. They were made of sub-par material and all that I have seen
have broken on the right side. If yours has not broken but you are worried
about it,replace it. You can go in and add plates to what already exists,but
you still will have a weak spot somewhere else. It is not that hard to do if
you have access to a lift,a grinder and a welder. Put the thicker one in and
forget about it. No, it is not exciting when it goes. It will just bounce
more in the rear and it will bang every time hit a bump.
  RE/ Upholstery. I have seen color and pattern close to the original vinyl
but the faux suede I have not seen in years. Try to find something close. A
good upholsterer should be able to come up with something.
  RE /Torque links. Why would you want to reinstall those? They do help a
little to prevent wheel hop(very little) but they hurt you in turns as they
do not allow the suspension to work. Rethink this one.
Hope this helps. George.