Re: Has anyone done the epa test - plus seat belt question?

To: <GLCurley@aol.com>, <marquila@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Has anyone done the epa test - plus seat belt question?
From: "George J. Malaska" <bricklingeorge@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 18:24:05 -0400
 The receiver /drier is unique to Bricklin. There are two ways around this.
1) Go to a NAPA store and have them look in their picture reference of
driers. If I remember right a drier from a 77-78 Ford pick up truck is the
closest thing you will find. It is correct in dimensions and fittings but
the flange that attatches it to the condensor is in a different position.
You can make a bracket to attatch it to the condensor in about 15 minutes.
No big deal if you have a Brick, you should be used to fabricating. 2) There
are some shops that will restore them. What they do is cut it open, replace
the dessicant,clean it out and then reweld it. Cost is about 75.00 for that
as opposed to about  35.00 for an almost fits. Look in Hemmings for the
people that rebuild them or call Terry Tanner. He has a guy in Texas do his.
I have the number of a guy in Florida that is supposed to do it also and I
will try to find it and forward it to you. The condensor(the thing in front
of the radiator) was also unique to Bricklin. I even contacted Modine
once(they made them) ,to see if they would produce some again and they
declined as there is not enough call for them. I took mine to a radiator
shop in Cleveland that I dealt with , he sent it to Texas and they built a
duplicate with flanges and all for about 190.00. The only difference is that
they do not make the flat tubes that they used to make anymore,so he built
it with round ones. Other than that you can not tell the difference and a
plus is that the round tubes are more effecient. See if any of your local
radiaror shops know of these people and if not I can get you hooked up with
the shop in Cleveland. You have to send your old one as a template and they
will return it to you when done. Just make sure you pack it well and insure
it well also. If your old one is still functional you can have them clean
and pressure test it. If it survives, I would keep it as a "just in case"
part. Turn around time is about 2 weeks.