Re: On The Road Again - VIN 1758 =)

To: <GodlyKrew@aol.com>, <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: On The Road Again - VIN 1758 =)
From: "Greg Monfort" <wingracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 16:46:01 -0400

>Hey All,
>Just got VIN 1758 re-insured and took her for a good drive
yesterday...she
>seems to run strong...I don't think I'm gonna hafta worry about
being stranded
>somewhere like I was with my 1986 Conquest =)
============
This is like an Indy driver saying he's never going to hafta worry
about hitting the wall. :^))
============

>Just a few little things I could use advice/help on...
>
>My main concern is filling up the gas tank.  Ever since I got the
car, as soon
>as I put the nozzle into the filler thing, gasoline runs out and
down the
>bumper.  This is before I pull the trigger that lets the gas flow.
Yesterday
>before inserting the nozzle, I checked to see if it was the pump by
pointing
>the nozzle down.  just a few drops...I'm getting about 5-7oz
running down my
>bumper....the pump doesnt do this on my other car
===========
Sounds like the receiver return line is clogged.
===========
...then it hit me!
>What happens if some of the gas makes contact with my muffler while
its hot?
>Are we talking about a case of fried Bricklin here, or is gasoline
not likely
>to ignite in such a situation?
===========
I doubt a muffler would be hot enough, but you never know. Mine is
lightly toasted under the hood from a fire that (I think) was
started when a spray of gas from a loose fitting at the carb hit the
exhaust manifold.
===========
>As luck would have it, it seems that the plastic tubing I chose for
the door
>system will eventually lack the capacity to withstand 100psi.  Its
worked fine
>under 100psi for a while, but just yesterday one of the tubes on my
air board
>(four solenoids that allow air flow when turned on mounted on a
metal plate)
>burst.  Anybody have a better solution as far as tubing is
concerned?
===========
At the very least you need polyethylene (150psi), better would be
Nylon 11 (250psi); both available through Graingers. Or look up
local pnuematic controls suppliers, they'll have it.
===========
>It feels good to be driving my "B" again!!!
===========
Must be nice! Mine will be out of commission for some time yet. :^((
===========
  It gives me so much satifsfaction
>getting all that attention, I think its worth all the hassle, time,
and money
>I've invested, doors and all =)
===========
You sure are easily amused. :^))
===========

>BTW, when my doors don't work, i can avoid crawling through the
hatch by
>sliding in race car style.  Just gotta be careful =)
===========
You must be awfully thin to fit through a Bricklin window! (he said
enviously)

>One good thing about the doors not working is the attention you get
by
>crawling in and out through the hatch =)  In fact, I think I get
more
>attention that way..hehehe
Unfortunately, it's the embarrassing kind.

GM