Re: California Vehicle Noise Laws

To: nokones@kenmitchell.com
Subject: Re: California Vehicle Noise Laws
From: Johann Schubert <jes@rx7.org>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 10:41:51 -0700
Kenneth Allan Mitchell wrote:
> In my personal opinion, there is no legitimate reason why anyone would
> need to run an autocross car without an adequate muffler, especially
> today. If you use a quality muffler such as Flowmaster or Borla, etc,
> these mufflers have been designed with a lot of technology in exhaust
> tuning for performance.

I'll agree that there is no reason anyone would need to run an autocross car
without an adequate muffler, however just because the manufacturer "calls" it a
muffler, doesn't make it adequate. ;-)  I currently have a turbo rotary with 2
mufflers, the rear one being a Borla. Duplicating the J1169 test at home gives
111 db! 8-0  At idle it still reads 101 db...  That's enough to get black
flagged at Laguna Seca. Not much of a muffler in my book. :-/

On the other hand intake noise can exceed exhaust noise. The same Laguna Seca
track event I got black flagged at, measured an RX-8 at 102 db of intake noise!
He had a huge K & N with a cold air intake box...

John