Annual Tech ?

To: <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Annual Tech ?
From: "svwilbur" <svwilbur@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 16:34:42 -0800
I went to read up on the annual tech program but the link for it is down
from

http://www.sfrscca.org/solo2/Results/2006/event_info.html     It gives me a
404 error

It points to http://www.sfrscca.org/solo2/Results/annual_tech.html

But from what I remember from previous years you had to log the first 8-10
or so tech inspections and then after that you could get an annual tech and
not bother getting teched the rest of the year.  Maybe that is not correct
but I cannot find doc anywhere on it yet.

Sounds like a good idea but I am doing real good if I did 10 events in a
year.

Do you have to repeat this for subsequent years?  I guess so as it is
"annual tech" not :experienced tech".
If you had one from last year do you have to re-up this year?
I do not have one yet.  I am just curious.  In the past it did not seem
worth it for me to do annual tech as I would just about get it and the
season would be over.

Why do we require 10 inspections (if that is the number).  It seems like if
you have passed 2 or 4 of them that you know what you are doing.
I guess I am missing something?

Why do we assume that if someone has an annual tech that they are safer than
someone that has only teched a few times, or a few times for several years
(like most of us)?

It seams like anyone could get a loose wheel bearing or battery or slow
throttle spring or mushy brakes, or an oil leak and not be aware of it no
matter whether they have an annual tech or not.  Although I think that most
of us are aware of what our car is doing mechanically and "pre-tech" it
before going to tech.

Getting teched is not a big deal but often it is that thing that you have to
rush around for during the morning and if you run 2nd it is a real hassle
since all the tech people are on grid doing it for run group one and you
have to get teched before you can get on grid for run group 2 but can not
get teched until after run group 1 starts and techs show up.  It would
almost be better to get teched on grid for all run groups.  But there must
be a reason for not doing that.  I guess having tech stop at around 1:00 is
a good reason.

Maybe this rushing around is not an issue with the longer run groups as a
result of the 6 group setup but it seemed like you had to compete with
everyone in run group 2 ,3 and 4 (when we had 8) during that same interval
of techs just getting done with run group 1 on grid.

I like to show up, register, prep the car, help with course setup some if
time is left, get the car teched and walk the course, and do the drivers
meeting so I am ready to go.  But the tech part usually gets in the way.
You either have to walk the course and then try to tech it after the event
starts.  Running in run group 1 is nice as it kind of fits together better.
You can get teched and walk the course.  There is less car movement since
you do not have to go to tech, wait and then go back to your parking space..

Annual tech seems to help avoid that but not if it takes most of the season
to get it.

What am I missing? what is an easier less stressful way to schedule the tech
inspections?

-Stacey
97 Camaro T2-ESP (I think) got to get some tape or letters for the "T2-"
now.