Practice Event - Great idea!

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Practice Event - Great idea!
From: Jake Hodges <jake@codeworm.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 14:51:19 -0800
Great idea to have a practice event before Boondoggle to roll out the
new timing system.  I'd like to be the first to say that I think this
new system will be really fun to have once we get everyone up to
speed, particularly for the announcers.  I was a little overwhelmed
with all the information I had at my disposal, but once we all get up
to speed spectating at the events might be more fun.  Thanks to those
who have driven it's implementation!

That said, one of the best things about the old system was the number
of people that knew how all the parts of it worked that could train
noobs.  I think it would be GREAT if we could have a training night
to get a larger core of volunteers trained on the system.  If we got
enough people together, we could actually simulate an event with
people taking turns working each position.  With a larger core of
people that understand the system, Robin might actually get to sit
down at the next event.  Can we find a place to set up the motorhome
and get a bunch of people together for lessons?

Suggestions:
  - Multiple laptops on the reg table before the first car goes out.
(Can the announcer's computer be repurposed before the first run
group to get all the early people checked in faster?)
  - Announcer station - Is it possible to hide all the people that
are not in the current run group?  The top list showed classes people
who weren't at attendance at the event in the list.  That made it
harder to find the information I wanted to see there.
  - Real mice for the trailer computers.  Those little nipple mice
are hard to use when speed matters!
  - Rus observed problems  scanning cars on grid in the third group -
That needs to be worked out.
  - Bill my credit card right from the registration table so I don't
have to remember to go to the ATM. :)
  - Having the printer next to the timing person print numbers for
people is a bad idea.  It was really distracting to have people
coming into the motorhome and interrupting the trailer staff when
they're looking for numbers.  Let's just tell them their numbers and
hand them a pen like we used to, or get a printer for the reg table.

Questions:
  - Will those barcodes hold up in the rain?
  - What happens when someone runs through the finish lights and the
timer registers a finish for a car?  Does the "Reset Finish" switch
on the timer work gracefully with the software?