Triumph TR8s

To: "BayArea Team.Net" <ba-autox@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Triumph TR8s
From: John Kelly <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 13:50:40 -0500

Message text written by Kevin Stevens

"Prepared:              "Automobiles submitted for new classification in
the
Prepared Category... shall be equipped with normal road car equipment
and be approved by the E. P. A. and D. O. T. for sale in the United
States."

There are also minimum production quantities for each of those
categories.

KeS"

HELP!!  Please define "WRT"

Also, Please 'splain just what the vehicle is that's being driven by Gordon
Kinney at the Solo II Nationals. I know it LOOKs like a Sunbeam Tiger but
under the skin is a collection of metal that doesn't resemble what my old
pal Stan Clark used to drive in Bay Area events.
        Previously the same collection of bits and pieces had a Triumph TR8
body riveted to it along with the 3.5-liter GM aluminum V8. GM called it a
Buick engine.
        Personally I don't have a problem with such a car.
        But if it's allowed to be called an A Prrepared car so is a similar
collection of bits and pieces under a fibreglass body and powered by a
Rover V8 should also be allowed to run in A Prepared. In fact, the SFR Solo
II Steering Committee put it there for local competition.
        The problem with the TR8/Tiger is that the original collection of
interior bits and pieces was assembled by Jim McKamey, the guy who chaired
the Prepared Autocross Committee when Patrick requested his Elise to be
classified. Mr. McKamey decided the bits and pieces assembled in Indiana
are a different commodity than those assembled in the United Kingdom. Can
we say Mr. McKamey had a philosophical problem? His decision leaned toward
a product Made in the USA.
        And to add to all of the above, Gordon Kinney has requested his
McKamey-built collection of bits and piece be reclassified into B Prepared
for 2005. And the Solo Events Board has granted his wish.
        If it all looks like a fairy tale, you're right.

--John Kelly