Re: Gray market

To: Patrick Jones <pcjones33@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Gray market
From: Kevin Stevens <autox@pursued-with.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 21:29:01 -0800
On Nov 8, 2004, at 20:41, Patrick Jones wrote:

> What constitutes "gray market"?
>
> Now, my Elise was sold in the USA, by Lotus USA, with
> full knowledge and approval of the US federal
> government, including Customs.  It was sold as an "off
> road" vehicle only and I had to sign a waiver to that
> affect.
>
> Is this a gray market vehicle?
>
> I always assumed that gray market referred to a
> vehicle that was brought into the US by something
> other than official channels.  The fact that these
> cars may or may not be eligible for registration in
> any particular state was of little consequence -
> except to the owner of course.

"Gray market" is a meaningless term WRT Solo rules, you will not find
it listed anywhere in the rule book.  Arguing about the definition of a
meaningless term is about the most pointless exercise imaginable.  As
for the actual issue of automobiles eligible for Solo II competition,
we covered this two years ago WRT this exact car:

Stock class:    "Cars running in Stock Category must have been series
produced with normal road touring equipment capable of being licensed
for normal road use in the Unites States, and normally sold and
delivered through the manufacturer's retail sales outlets in the United
States."

Street Prepared:        "... Street Prepared Category ..."

Prepared:               "Automobiles submitted for new classification in the
Prepared Category... shall be equipped with normal road car equipment
and be approved by the E. P. A. and D. O. T. for sale in the United
States."

There are also minimum production quantities for each of those
categories.

KeS