Re: wheel repair

To: "Bay Area AutoX List" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: wheel repair
From: "Scott & Charlotte Miller" <bimmerdogs@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 15:56:08 -0700
Paul, this is my summary of Bay Area wheel re-finishing options, circa
2001/2002.  I'd guess that prices have gone up.  I had my wheels
re-finished back in 2001 after a fair amount of research.  There are
shops that specialize in wheel repair AND refinishing, and there are
other options if you only need them refinished but not repaired.  (I'm
including both in case someone else needs wheels re-finished.)

Repair and Refinishing:

Wheels America, Union City - $109 per wheel regardless of how much or
how little work your wheels need, unless you have "highly polished"
wheels, which are more.

Wheel Techniques, Campbell - I didn't go there for a quote, but the
word is that they do excellent work, but are very expensive.

Pacific Rim, Pittsburg - Willing to work with you to determine the
best finish and methods for your wheels, but more expensive than
Wheels America.

Rite Way Wheels, Walnut Creek - specializes in chrome and highly
polished wheels.  Despite comments from former customers, he told me
he does not really want to do other types of finishing.

Gesick Welding (not local) - will re-paint wheels AFTER he repairs
them, but does not want to refinish wheels he does not repair.

Ultimately, I only needed refinishing, not repair, so I went to All
Pro Powder Coating in Pittsburg, CA.  Their price of $65 per wheel
(for my 1 piece 15x7 Fittipaldi wheels with center covers) was $5 per
wheel more than West Coast Powder Coating in Concord, but All Pro gave
me more color selections.  Their work was about as good as one might
expect for the price - near perfect.

HTH,

Scott Miller

GGC BMW CCA

1990 325i

>Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 14:03:50 -0700
>From: "PAUL TIBBALS" <pault151@comcast.net>
>Subject: wheel repair

<snip>
>Anybody got a wheel repair shop that they have had a great experience
with,
>preferably in the East Bay or back Bay (Pleasanton to Concord axis)?
And if