braking at Atwater surface

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: braking at Atwater surface
From: Toy4speed@aol.com
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 14:45:12 EDT
All this good natured conversation regarding cording tires at Atwater had me
thinking about my Hoosiers at previous Atwater events.  First, I love the
surface, enjoy all events held there, and my tires with decent driving style
seem to last just fine.  The problem I had was with over zealous braking and
flat spotting the tires.  In that situation I think the concrete surface is
like a belt sander and my tire life drops tremendously.  Of course my car
doesn't have ABS, and overall the tire traction for cornering and braking I
feel is higher at the concrete surface, just don't "overbrake" or your tires
will seriously suffer.

So, for newbies at Atwater, think about braking technique, that's versus
breaking technique at Candlestick :)

Don Lew
DSP Supra
(hoosiers when budget allows, kumhos otherwise)