Re: Tint, tiny trailers for tiny, tiny cars.

To: jake@codeworm.com, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tint, tiny trailers for tiny, tiny cars.
From: Jim Ochi <jim_ochi@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 19:01:23 -0800
At 06:01 PM 2/10/2003 -0800, jake@codeworm.com wrote:

>So which tiny, lightweight, and inexpensive trailer do
>I want?  Harbor Freight has a tiny trailer with either
>8 or 12 inch tires.  Anyone have experience with these?
>  Are there other choices?  What should I be concerned
>about?
>
>Finally, what are rules for towing 200 lbs behind a
>tiny mid-engine sports car?

Randy Noll towed two sets of tires behind his MR2 all the way to Topeka a
couple of years ago, using a small Harbor Freight trailer.  It was kind of
scary - he had the 8" wheel version, and it looked like it was catching air
at the speeds we were towing.  I'd suggest getting the 12" wheel version
instead.  Keep the bearings well greased (might want to invest in a set of
Bearing Buddies), and it should do just fine.  Also, be sure to
periodically check all the nuts and bolts to make sure that they're still
tight.  Might be a good idea to use some Locktite when you assemble your
trailer.

The wiring for these tend to have problems - if you solder and shrink-wrap
all the connections when you build it, or use a really good quality
ratcheting crimper instead of one of the cheap ones, you'll minimize the
problems.  Be sure to use rubber grommets  where ever the wires go through
the frame.

Many autoxers have built tire trailers from these Harbor Freight trailers -
just look around the paddock at any event, and you should see several
examples of what you can do.  There are also a lot of articles on the web
on this - just do a Google search, and you should be able to find a few
designs.  Basically, they're pretty much the same.  Mini-trailer frame,
with a plywood platform, a big box for tools and miscellaneous stuff, and
some sort of tire rack.

Main thing about towing in California is that the speed limit drops to 55
mph on the freeway if you're towing a trailer.  Of course, the friendly CHP
officers are glad to remind you of this.

Peter Thana manages to get a whole set of tires, along with all his tire
changing stuff into his MR2, and I remember seeing people cram sets of
wheels, jacks, etc., in their Miatas.  So you might want to lay all your
stuff out and see if you can figure out a creative way to pack everything.

Jim