Re: Please help explain the different events to a Novice

To: "Stacey" <swilbur@sprynet.com>, <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Please help explain the different events to a Novice
From: Jim Ochi <jim_ochi@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 23:40:57 -0700
At 11:04 PM 4/16/2002 -0700, Stacey wrote:

>Then 10   "SFR Championship Event"  dates
>
>Then   7  "SFR Slush Event"  dates
>
>What are the differences in these Rounds / Events?
>
>As in what is the difference in a Round and an Event?
>
>What is a Slush Event?

"Rounds" and "Events" are synonymous.  SFR runs two series per year - the
Championship series, and the Winter Slush series.  Each one is scored
separately, and you can win a trophy in one or the other or in both (if you
drive really well).

>I read through the SCCA 2002 Rule book on CD but it did not seem
>to explain how the events get tabulated toward points.  Maybe this is
>just a regional decision?

It's a regional thing.  Each region sets up their events their own way.

>How are points and awards calculated (on a series or yearly basis or both)?
>It sounds like from the
>http://www.sfrscca.org/solo2/Results/2002/supps.html#awards
>page that all the different types of events count toward year end points
>and trophy,
>however only 6 of the 8 event count and only 6 of the 7 event ones count.
>
>Yet the current series shows it is looking at the best 4 points awarded of
>the
>current 7 event series.
>
>How many of the 10 event ones count?

Somehow, I don't know what you're asking, or where the "6 of 8" or "6 of 7" or
"4 points awarded of the current 7 event series" come from.

Anyway, it shouldn't be that difficult.  Each event in the Championship
series that you compete in will give you points towards the Championship
series trophies awarded for that class.  Each event in the Winter Slush
series that you compete in will give you points towards the Winter Slush
series trophies awarded for that class.

For every 4 events in a series, you get one "drop", so your lousiest finish
(or, if you miss an event, that counts as an event where you get zero
points) is automatically discarded.  So, since we have 16 events scheduled
for the Championship season, there will be 4 drops, and the points from 12
events will be tallied up to determine who wins trophies.

>It also says "To be eligible for a year-end trophy in a given class, a
>competitor must
>have scored points in at least half of the season's events in that class".
>So SFR has 24 events, so I have to do at least 12 of them and
>score in how many of them to be eligible?

If you want to be eligible for a trophy in a given class in the
Championship series, you need to score points in at least half the
events.  So, if you're competing in (for example) B-Stock, you have to get
points in at least 8 events.  If due to scheduling issues we have to
decrease the number of events in the Championship series to (another
example) 14 events, you have to score points in at least 7 events to be
eligible for a trophy.

Note that the two series are totally separate - if you run 5 events in the
Championship series, that does not make you eligible for trophies in the
Winter Slush series.

>Are there awards for each series and then for year end too?

There are trophies for the Championship series, for the Winter Slush
series, and a yearly "Most Improved Driver" trophy.

Jim