Re: rain -- again? what's going on?

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: rain -- again? what's going on?
From: Alan Dahl <adahl@eskimo.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 13:40:18 -0800
On Saturday, April 6, 2002, at 09:55  AM, "Michael R. Clements" wrote:
> We have had 4 autocrosses so far, in 3 of which it rained. The
> probability to get rain on all three of these days is 0.3 * 0.3 * 0.3 =
> 0.027. Thus getting rain on all three of these days is only 2.7% likely.
> And that's if they are all in SF. Some were in GGF and Oakland, which
> get slightly less rain, so the probability is actually a bit lower.
>
> Furthermore, now it looks like rain tomorrow morning on the school. This
> further reduces the probability to a number so small that it stretches
> the limits of credulity to imagine that it has occurred naturally.
>
> Can anybody explain what is happening? Is there some phenomena going on
> causing it to rain on every event this year?

You guys should move up here to Seattle! Since Nationals we've had one
event it didn't rain on, every other event has been wet or partially
wet. On the other hand I am getting great wear out of my Hoosiers since
they never get on the car!

Strangely enough it's sunny here now and has been sunny for the last
week. Sorry you guys have been getting our weather! :-)

- Alan Dahl, from sunny Seattle

Alan Dahl                                               home:
adahl@eskimo.com
Federal Way, WA, USA                       work: aland@bestnet.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~adahl          ICQ 52688023