RE: SUV explosion - in numbers

To: "'james creasy'" <Black94PGT@pacbell.net>,
Subject: RE: SUV explosion - in numbers
From: Carl Merritt <CMerritt@luminous.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 10:53:21 -0800
This reminds me of a study I heard about....a group of college students were
asked to grade their own paper, grade other people's papers, and then grade
their own again in light of the competition.  The top %15 usually at first
only rated them selves as average, because they were highly self critical
and generally believed everybody else was roughly the same skill level.
People in the bottom %15 at first graded them selves in the top %15, and
then even AFTER grading other student's papers they still graded them selves
in the top %15.

It seems that if you are totally inept, you don't even have the skill to do
any self performance analysis, which often leads to delusions of grandeur
and/or persecution when things don't turn out.  Directly applicable to SUV
drivers I would think...  ;-)

-Carl