Re: Novice, # of events?

To: White 2kToy <al2ktoy@hotmail.com>,
Subject: Re: Novice, # of events?
From: John Kelly <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 11:27:43 -0400

Message text written by "John J. Stimson-III"

"Therefore I was eligible as a novice in the 2001
championship series.  I would still be eligible for novice class for
the slush series, except that I got one of those pesky trophy things.
So now I have to play with the big boys and girls."

Was your goal the trophy or just to be classed as a novice? I learned long
ago that to develop one's skills you must compete against people who are
better than you are. If you stay in the novice class and beat your fellow
novices, how good are you? If you run in the regular class with the goal of
betaing the guy in front of you, the interesting thing is you usually do
and that means you are learning how to read a course and go faster.
Amazing.
        When I first began it was always my goal to compare myself against
the good guys who had been competing for a while. It didn't take long to
find myself beating a few of the then-old timers.

--John Kelly