Re: trouble bending aluminum sway bar arms, advice?

To: Larrybsp@aol.com
Subject: Re: trouble bending aluminum sway bar arms, advice?
From: Bill Hamburgen 650-617-3329 FAX -3374 <billh@pa.dec.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 09:51:16 -0700
Larry,  You are right that 6061 T6 is far and away the most common alloy.
But heating will alter the temper (the T6 suffix) and weaken the part.  For
example, 6061 tensile strength is 18,000 psi annealed, 45,000 psi for T6.
Something to keep in mind.  Your advice to remove the damaged surface
layer is good, as stress concentration can be 2-3x higher at the root of
notches and cracks.  But a fatigue crack can initiate even in apparently
flawless metal, which is why mechanics are alway inspecting airplane skins
around rivets (those dang stress concentrations again).  Your practical
experience is an example of what you can do.  But in general aluminum
is much less forgiving than steel.

/Bill