Re: trouble bending aluminum sway bar arms, advice?

To: billh@pa.dec.com
Subject: Re: trouble bending aluminum sway bar arms, advice?
From: Larrybsp@aol.com
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 12:13:09 EDT
from:larrybsp@aol.com (Larry Stark)

                         Jim,
                            Several factors come into play when bending
aluminum, alloy
being the most important. Most of the commercial alloys are 6061 T6, the T6
indicating it has been solution heat treated and aged. It has also been roll
formed.
This stuff is not easy to bend. I've had success by heating the outside of
the bend with an acetylene torch while bending the material. Plenty of heat
is needed because
the aluminum carries the heat away quickly. You may still get some surface
cracking. To prevent further problems grind/sand down the cracks to clean
solid metal. This eliminates the places for a fatigue crack to initiate. It
worked for me.

                                                                         Larry

In a message dated 8/10/01 8:47:40 AM Pacific Daylight Time, billh@pa.dec.com