Re: Volunteer course design - short list of requirements

To: Nandaholz@aol.com, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Volunteer course design - short list of requirements
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2000 00:52:03 EST
Nanda wrote:

<< I want to build course that has the following:
 -be able to over run cars at least 2
 -possibly re-running part of the course as I did in the Evolution Driving
 School (McKamey) and the AAS test and tune, makes good use of smaller sites

Well, in SFR we absolutely HAVE to start a car every 25 seconds.  You can't
re-run part of the course and do that.

<<  - a third gear section or two
 - maybe one long high speed slalom and a couple of shorter ones
 - chicago deep dish boxes, and offset gates  >>

These are all okay, just don't make anything too tight.

<<  - one first gear hairpin  >>

You'll piss a lot of people off if you do this.

<<  - 60 - 85 second runs, better value for racers  >>

That's a great goal, but John Kelly has been doing courses for over 30 years
and I've been doing them for over 20, and you can't get much more time out of
the sites we have available to us than John and I do, without re-running part
of the course.  Of course, you can do it if you make the courses very tight
and tedious, but you shouldn't sacrifice fun in order to get some
artificially contrived time length.  Anything more than 70 seconds or so is
very difficult for most people to remember and also takes a long time to walk
on course walks.

<<  - a few wide gated sections where you can really define your own line,
also
 like the AAS test and tune  >>

That's fine.  No problem.

<<  - maybe a curved slalom, and and exaggerated slalom (moving the cones out
to  the sides, rather than just in a straight line) so you actually need to
work
 the car more  >>

Several of us (myself included) have tried this and the competitors were not
amused...

<<  - also can we work in split timers like McKamey so we can give people
info
 about where they are making progress?  >>

No.

<<  Where can I get some overhead print outs of 3com, and Network associates?
 Also has anyone used any software to design course, AutoCAD, Paint, etc., or
 is a pencil and paper the tools of the trade? I figure I'll start
 brainstorming sections on paper and then bring them into CAD. Once they are
 in CAD i can clip sections out of good course, and sorta paste them together
 when designing a new course. >>

I've on occasion gone to lots and walked off dimensions, but then you find
low spots, rough patches, etc. that aren't on your map when you go to lay out
your course, so you need to be flexible in the actual execution.

Charlie Davis