Helmets that come in hat sizes?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Helmets that come in hat sizes?
From: Alan Dahl <alandahl@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 13:28:23 -0700
I've come to the conclusion that I don't have a "metric" head after trying on
numerous helmets recently in an attempt to replace my old Bell Sport II.
Unfortunately since I bought my Bell back in '97 almost all helmet
manufacturers have gone metric, even those that sell S, M, L, XL, etc. actually
sell metric helmets, usually with M = metric size 58 and L = size 60. Problem
is my head is about a 58.5 which results in M/58 helmets being too tight and
L/60 helmets being too loose. The only one I've found so far that fits is the 7
3/8 Bell M5 but I'm not interested in spending over $300 for an autocross
helmet.

Are there any other manufacturers that offer true "hat size" helmets? I don't
need an SA helmet, M-rated will do just fine and Snell 2000 is ok as well but
the size really has to be a hat size (or a 59 I suppose if such an animal
exists).

Any help would be much appreciated!

- Alan Dahl

Alan Dahl                                             email: alandahl@mac.com
Federal Way, WA, USA                          Yahoo IM: AlanBDahl
http://homepage.mac.com/alandahl   ICQ: 52688023