Re: Potential new helmet rule would affect autocrossers

Subject: Re: Potential new helmet rule would affect autocrossers
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 09:45:45 -0600
> On Nov 18, 2004, at 7:23 PM, Haden, Bruce wrote:
>> Have there been any incidents of air-bag deployment while the driver was
>> wearing a helmet?
>> Which kind of helmet?
>> What happened?

At a High Performance Car Control Clinic at Heartland Park Topeka a few
years ago, a young driver in a Camaro got it wrong in the esses and went
nose-in to the barriers there.

HPCCC events are specifically named in the SCCA advisory, BTW. These are
"track day" events using street cars. Personal safety requirements match
solo II (helmets only, Snell 90 acceptable, no special driver attire other
than long-leg pants.

How the kid managed to screw it up is hard to figure. It is the only impact
I have ever heard of in just that location -- hence the wall is unprotected
by the water barrels and tires that await straight ahead and around the next
turn. But he went nose-in, popped both airbags. The esses are at the north
end of the paddock and the airbag bang was easily heard. It was actually a
rather low-speed impact.

I think he was in an open-face helmet. Was fine afterwards and just
wondering what he was going to tell dad. Dad did not know he borrowed the
car, he came with his uncle (dad's brother, who probably also was in dutch).
IIRC, the car was driveable, but the front end was messed up and the
interior was full of deflated airbag and their residue.

--Rocky Entriken