Re: Fiero upgrade, and autocross?

To: mark@sccaprepared.com (Mark Andy), autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fiero upgrade, and autocross?
From: Stand0nIt@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 11:43:11 -0400
No, this horse is not dead... lets see how much more of a beating it can take!!

Mr. Andy Wrote...
 NO. Hell no. U/B in ST was eliminated because lots of competitors in the class
whined about it after it had been in place for three years, and because the
STAC recommended the change.

-- Well... not exactly... I applaud the use of fact backed opinion to make the
opinion seem as though it is an actual fact.  However the only valid part of
this particular statement is that the STAC recommended the change.

That having been said, the factors that went into the removal of UD/BD from ST
centered around Street Touring's placement between Stock and Street Prepared
and the interest in keeping engine swaps out of ST.  It is my understanding (an
understanding mind you should not be confused with a fact backed opinion) that
the original vision of ST UD/BD was to allow for swapping smaller components
such as brakes.  How the eventual extreme use of this allowance was over looked
is beyond me seeing where Street Prepared went with the same allowance.

More from Mr Andy...
UD/BD got removed from ST* because an old civic could weigh 30 lbs lighter when
built using UD/BD than an old civic could weigh without the allowance.

-- I think it was a bit more broad that this.  Yes, the Civic was the first car
to gain greatly from UD/BD, but no one tried it with a RX-3, RSX, or a later
model Civic.  I was more concerned with the prospect of one of the fuel economy
civics with a VTEC motor than I was with the FrankinCivic that were build last
year.

Mr Andy Continued...
In the process, lots of normal modifications (final drive changes, junkyard
motor swaps, using a chassis brace from another iteration of the model, etc.
etc.) got thrown away with the bathwater.

-- Even within UD/BD you could not do final drive without doing the entire
drive train per my limited understanding of such things.  As for junkyard motor
swaps as long as your engine code is correct you are welcome to do that now.  I
have one in my car as we speak.  Bolt on Chassis bracing such as strut braces
and stress bars is allowed with the current rule set.

> If you like where we ended up... Great!  But let's not have
> any illusions
> about how we got there.
-- AGREED :)