Re: Fiero upgrade, new GTO - hmmm - Pontiacs and autocross?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fiero upgrade, new GTO - hmmm - Pontiacs and autocross?
From: George Ryan <george.ryan@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 03:59:45 -0700 (PDT)
Not exactly.

The 88 engine cradle/suspension can directly bolt-in to the 84-87.
But the strut (McPherson strut on the rear, standard shock on the
front in a Fiero - more backwards thinking) is at a slightly different
angle, just enough so the top of the '88 strut doesn't line up with
the hole in the top of the early strut tower. Another hole has to be
drilled for the top of the strut to clear.

EEEEK - - that makes it illegal!!  I guess a performance advantage
ensues because of the .02oz less pot metal than the  vaunted and
feared '88 Fiero (after drilling that clearance hole). Since the car doesn't
steer from this end (at least not after the '88 cradle swap, anyway!)
that is about all the advantage that could possibly be gained.

So, trying to be a good citizen and not break any sanctified rules. I
ask about changing the top of the stock strut towers to prevent from
drilling that hole? AAAWK - - might have to weld a stock part from one
year chassis into another (an acceptable body shop practice, BTW).
Even with this swap - whether legal or illegal - the Fiero is no threat to
anybody that has responded to my question. Anyway, it was just a
question, for Gawd's sake!

I have had an '88 cradle in every Fiero I have had on course for the past
9 years in any case (this swap is legal in Prepared). I have had it in my
Caddy powered daily driver since 1999. This car has run in SM2 at the
local level a couple times - without making a big deal of it I might add.
You know, just for fun! (I got my ass handed to me by a turbo Miata each
time, BTW.)

With the 88 cradle, an early Fiero can legally run with NASA, IHRA,
COMMA, and other sanctioning bodies in various venues (in addition to
the international Fiero club). Please remember - there is more than one
playground out there.

I learned that from some Porsche drivers.

Smokerbros@aol.com wrote:

If I remember correctly, there is a part of the unibody that has to be cut off
and a 1988 part welded on.  We draw the line with respect to cutting and
welding when it comes to update/backdate.  Period.  Allowing you to do
something in the name of update/backdate that no one else can do is unfair.

Charlie