Re: Longest slalom ever?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Longest slalom ever?
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 01:19:41 -0500
Okay looking at some other years' course maps...

'86, as reported earlier, had that 12-cone run down the east fenceline, or
6+6 as some saw it with the extra zig midway. South course was Gary Walton's
"west coast" design that virtually had no slaloms at all.

'87 -- South Course began with a zig before the lights, two gates right, two
gates left, then a 6-cone to the far corner. Can't tell from the map if that
run was northbound or southbound. I can't recall how many years we ran south
course from the south end before we began putting false grids off the
between-courses area. Also, later on that course about midway there was an
8-cone run up the middle. North in '87 had nothing that matches.

'88 South Course had nothing that matches the long slalom. Joe Darwal put a
6-cone job in the middle of his North Course.

'89 South Course was another death by slalom -- 3-cone off the start, a
2-cone zigzag, a 6-cone inline, later four double gates, finally six single
gates to the finish. But none like you describe. Nothing on the north.

'90 South Course had three 3-cone jobs on the south, a couple of zigzags on
the north.

'91 had a 5-cone in the middle of the South Course and a 3-cone at the
finish. For some reason I don't have the north course map.

'92 had a pair of 3-cone slaloms and a couple of 4-cones on the South
Course. North had two different 5-cone runs.

'93 had one 4-cone line alongside the east fence about halfway through. None
to speak of on the north.

'94 had a Roger-the-Real design on the south course. It had one 4-cone set
early in the run and a fencerow slalom (3 fences) at the finish. North had a
5-cone run early and a 4-cone run just before the final turn.

That is all of the Salina Airport courses. We went to Topeka in '95. South
Course was indeed always the one closest to the paddock. None of them seem
to be what you describe, but I wonder if perhaps you are not thinking of the
'89 course. No individual slalom was terribly long, the way the '86 north
course was, but the course did transit  from slalom to slalom to slalom,
usually with big horseshoe 180s connecting one to another. The 6-cone job
ran alongside the drainage grates, which are marked on the map. Then it was
U-turn, slalom along one side of the ridge line, U-turn, and slalom back
alongside the other side of the ridge line. All in all, you went through
about 21-22 slalom turns on that course, just not all together.

--Rocky

[This message delayed, as it needed manual intervention by the list
administrator.  mjb.]