Re: Carbon Fiber hood.

To: <autox@autox.team.net>, "\"David W. James\"" <vnend@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: Carbon Fiber hood.
From: "Josh Sirota" <josh@sirota.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 21:04:45 -0800
David James wrote:
> I have seen it claimed that the hood on the BMW Z3 models is the
> largest and heaviest single piece on a (well, then) production car (I
> have my doubts, but it is certain that it is a big hunk of steel.)

When I took the factory tour in 1999, what they said was that the Z3 hood
was the largest SINGLE STAMPED piece of steel in the industry.  Most large
body panels are actually more than one stamping, welded together.  The Z3 is
a single stamping of a single piece of steel, and in 1999 anyway, was the
largest such panel in the industry.

Don't know if it still is.  When I took the tour, they said nothing about
weight, only about size.

Josh