Re: Carbon Fiber hood.

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Carbon Fiber hood.
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 19:25:37 EST
In a message dated 3/28/04 3:32:45 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Sethracer@aol.com writes:

> Except for the weight savings, the hood could be considered an "appearance,
> comfort and convenience item". The weight saved would, unless compensated
> for,
> via an appropriate added weight, would make the car illegal. If you bolted
> an
> equivilent weight on top of the motor - for competition only - I think a
> case
> could be made for the car being legal, since there is no attempt to

I hate it when I have to agree with Kevin Stevens...  :-)  There's no
"comfort and convenience" component, and since the Commemorative Edition comes
with
the hood already painted LeMans blue, I don't see the "appearance" aspect.  In
addition, Section 13.1 prohibits illegal modifications, even if set to factory
specs...  Let's face it, the guy wants to do it to take weight off the car.
He has to decide whether he wants to look cool with the hood up at the local
Corvette Club meeting, or whether he wants to autocross in SS.  ASP is always
an option...

Charlie