Re: shop manuals

To: "Crider, James A." <JamesCrider@metaldyne.com>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: shop manuals
From: Mark Sirota <mark@sirota.org>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 11:31:01 -0500
--On Monday, March 1, 2004 9:56 AM -0500 "Crider, James A."
<JamesCrider@metaldyne.com> wrote:
> I don't have a dog in the Prepared fight, but I see this as more of a
> universal 'cross-category' issue anyway.

There are two separate issues at hand.

(1) The Prepared category used to have no defined required documentation
rule, as the rule was oddly located in the opening to Section 13, and
Prepared explicitly did not build on Stock.  So the question is, now that
we're addressing this, what should the required documentation for Prepared
Category be?

(2) What to do about documentation that was never available to the
consumer, or that is only available in non-book form.  The current thinking
is that you need to provide only the media (fiche, CD, whatever), not the
means to read it; that can be covered by the bond if need be.  Note that
the proposal uses the word "documentation", not "manual".  If there is no
media of any sort available to the consumer, then access to the
documentation might have to be covered by the protestor's bond.  [I freely
acknowledge that none of this is clear in the proposal, and a future
version of the proposal will do better.]

Mark