Pseudo Street Racing

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Pseudo Street Racing
From: Gillmanr@aol.com
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 19:41:17 EST
Anyone recall Lebanon Valley Trade School events late '60''s - early '70's
over toward Reading, Pa. I can recall hitting finish line at 6,200 RPM with my
427 Corvette (130MPH plus) and having a "hell-of-a-time" stoping before
pavement ran out. Some kid with a 302 Trans-Am Camaro beat me and everyone
else.  No
major incidents occurred, but as I recall the site decided the popular event
made too much noise of a Sunday and wasn't available after about 1971 or 72. We
ran an event down in Quaker Town about the same era on streets around a
school building of some sort. Someone named Quwech, Wech or something similar
had a
427 Cobra that would bust my gonads in AS versus the 427 Vette. I later
learned he was a former Nat'l champ at Daytona the previous year supposedly in
the
car. He had a son that did a superior job in the same car. 'Course we ran
hills in Reading area Pagoda (SCCA) and Reading (PHA) about the same time. The
Pennsylvania Hill Climb Assn., had a kid named Kerry Hitt with a small block
Vette that put all others in the shade. Wonder what happened to him?  We also
ran
in and around the streets and parking lots at Kutztown State college then.
Remember a Sunday when rain turned to sleet, then to snow - the old big block
Vette was a handful. I worked with Mark Guernstine putting on that event. A
defining individual with SCCA. He was a super guy. That was then - This is now.
SCCA is an institution we should all be proud to be involved in. Thanks for
allowing my remembrance.

Regards, Ron Gillman.