Prepared chassis stiffening

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Prepared chassis stiffening
From: Travis Woodbury <twoodbury@irobot.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 19:23:51 -0500
I have a question about the allowance of chassis stiffening for use in EP.

15.2.B of the '01 rulebook(sorry, it's the latest I own) states:

        Chassis, frame, or subframe may be reinforced, provided components and
attachments are not relocated except where specifically permitted....

This is a pretty broad allowance and I want to make sure I apply it
properly.  At what point does an arrangement of steel tubes within the
passenger compartment, engine bay and/or trunk with the sole purpose of
stiffening the chassis, become a roll cage controlled by the rules of
the GCR?

Basicly, I'm looking to stiffen my chassis with a 'cage like structure'
but don't want the extra complexity, cost and weight of a full cage
under the GCR.  For example, I see no need for side impact foot
protection...

It would seem that 15.2.B is sufficiently broad that I can pretty much
do anything I want to stiffen the chassis and as long as it's not deemed
to be 'unsafe', I'd be legal.

Thoughts?

-Travis