'65 Mustang decode

To: <alandahl@mac.com>
Subject: '65 Mustang decode
From: "Crider, James A." <JamesCrider@metaldyne.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 09:13:30 -0500
Alan -

Mustang 5R07C220540 is a 1965, made in Van Nuys, CA, 2-door hardtop coupe body
style, with the C-code 289, 2-barrel engine, 200 HP gross.  It is, I believe,
the 120,540th Mustang made at Van Nuys.  Serial numbers started with 100001,
but I'm not sure if the serial numbers were sequential at each of the three
plants making Mustangs (Dearborn, Michigan, and Edison, New Jersey, were the
other two) or coordinated between the plants.  My money's on it being
plant-sequential, though.

As far as history goes, start with a title search at the DMV, and try to
contact prior owners.  When I did this with my '65 (5F07A prefix, Dearborn
build coupe, A-code 289 4-barrel "lo po" 225 HP gross), way back in 1983 when I
got it, they could only go back 7 transactions, which took me to 1977.  Yes, my
car had a... colorful history prior to my ownership.  It's certain that I've
owned it longer than anyone else ever.

For CARFAX, etc, try prefixing the VIN with zeros, or postfixing it with zeros.
 I don't know if that will work, but it's worth a shot.

Jim Crider
autojim@despammed.com

This email message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains
information that may be confidential and/or copyright. If you are not the
intended recipient please notify the sender by reply email and immediately
delete this email. Use, disclosure or reproduction of this email by anyone
other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. No representation
is made that this email or any attachments are free of viruses. Virus scanning
is recommended and is the responsibility of the recipient. Thank you. Metaldyne
LLC