RE: FW: UD/BD Explained (was Fastrack)

To: "Eric Linnhoff" <knuckledragger@kcweb.net>
Subject: RE: FW: UD/BD Explained (was Fastrack)
From: "Hugh Barber" <tr6nut@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 17:41:05 -0700
Ok Eric,

Things I've noticed:

1. It seems that some of the more "high visibility" events (like ProSolo are
over-subscribed).
2. It seems that the Auto-X "regulars", for the most part, want no change in
the status-quo.
3. It seems way to easy to qualify for the Nationals: the entry list has a
few contenders with a lot of "filler" (in road racing they are called
backmarkers).
4. I have not noted a National-led effort to attract newcomers (might be
related to #2, above?  Who knows?)

Possible solutions:

1. Perhaps different levels of licensing should be instituted. Similar to
SCCA road racing, you could have Regional and National licenses.  One could
not get a National level license until they completed "X" number of regional
events.  National level licenses would be required to enter Divisionals,
National tour, and ProSolo events.  This might lead to a situation (similar
to road racing) where the intensity and caliber of competition is distinctly
different between the two levels, might help to mitigate the
over-subscription of events/dilution of quality problem, and provide a place
to mentor the newcomers to the sport without adding or changing classes.

2. Mere attendance at a National Tour or Divisional event should not qualify
you for the National Championships.  You should have to finish at least in
the top half of your class (maybe even the top 3 or 4) in order to go to the
Nationals.  The Championships should be a meeting of the best of the best -
not the way it is now (best of the best + those with time/money to attend +
those who live in the Midwest).

So Eric, there you go.  I've made a couple of suggestions.  Fell free to
tell me why they won't work.  Just remember, until you actually try a
suggestion (thinking out-of-the-box, changing your paradigm) you cannot know
for sure that it won't work.  :^)

Hugh Barber