Re: [evolution-disc.] UD/BD Explained (was Fastrack)

To: <evolution-discussions@yahoogroups.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: [evolution-disc.] UD/BD Explained (was Fastrack)
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 21:29:15 -0500
ktm@unify.com  wrote:

>1) Any newby to autocross is likely:
> a) not to have one of the car(s) for the class
> b) not to have that car prepped to the max of the rules
> c) not to have the skill (yet) to be a top contender

Hold on a minute here. Lemme get this straight: you're saying
that it's highly unlikely that a complete newcomer to our sport
can win his(her) class within an event or two? What kind of cruel
racket are we running here? I say it's downright unfair. And all
you folks who've spent years developing your cars and your
driving, what have you been thinking? Can't you see you're just
running off the new guys?
;<)

>2) There is only one two ST classes - a subset of cars is going
to be the
>ones to have.

Man, this just keeps getting worse. You mean to say that some
cars are better autocrossers than others? Why do the SEB hide
their collective heads in the sand and allow this inhumanity to
continue? Do they just not care? I'm calling my attorney.
;<)

>3) Rules are simply a preparation level, once you get past the
>marketing/charter/target audience.

Thank you. That very much needed to be said. ALL rules are
arbitrary. They can't possibly please everybody. I don't think
you'll find anyone who agrees with every rule in their class.
Rules are not there to make us all happy, they're there to define
the boundaries. Regardless of the boundaries you set, you'll have
some folks who think you allow too much and others who think you
don't allow enough.

I do believe one of the worst ruleswriting scenarios involves
taking back allowances that have been around for awhile. For this
reason, I'd suggest that you need to consider very carefully what
you think you want to allow (see the currently-proposed motor
mount changes for one possible example) before proceeding. It's
far easier never to allow something than take it back after the
fact.

>I'd bet that a good percentage of cars featured in Sport Compact
and the
>like are not legal for ST as it exists now.

Oh, man, we're really missing the boat. Don't you know that all
of the guys with cars like that will become dedicated
autocrossers just as soon as the rules are fair to their cars?
;<)

Jay