RE: [evolution-disc.] Please comment on the August Fastrack

To: "Brian Fitzpatrick" <bfitz@cox.net>
Subject: RE: [evolution-disc.] Please comment on the August Fastrack
From: "Andy Hollis" <awhollis@swbell.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 12:31:37 -0500
RE: [evolution-disc.] Please comment on the August FastrackSo what exactly
*would* you be able to ud/bd with this wording that would be beneficial?

The best argument I have heard *for* ud/bd is allowing someone easier access
replacement parts from a wrecking yard without regard to matching the exact
model year of the vehicle.  Sometimes there are small performance
differences, sometimes not.

The biggest argument against allowing drivetrain swaps is that not only will
ST have a specific car/model rise to the top and become "the car", but a
specific combination of parts will be required.  So, you need to get this
model sheel, this other model engine, a different tranny and/or rear, etc.
This makes building a nationally competitive car more challenging.  At the
regional level it will mean that no one will happen to have the right
hybrid.  The perception and reality will be that regional ST cars will have
a wide gap compared to national ones.  This is very true in SP now.

One final issue with ud/bd is that it tends to favor older cars.  Newer cars
are tending to be heavier and have been typically split more along trim
lines in the SP listings.  This reduces the ud/bd possibilities.

The suggestion Brian makes won't let you do any of the above, so I'm not
sure what it does allow you to do that has good rationale as an allowed mod.
Please educate me.

--Andy