Thunk in my suspension

To: <Undisclosed-Recipient:;>
Subject: Thunk in my suspension
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <knuckledragger@kcweb.net>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 09:19:58 -0400
Help me, please.  I have a thunk in my Street Touring S '98 Neon's passenger
front suspension and I'm having trouble diagnosing it.  It is only on the
passenger front corner.  The driver's side makes no unexpected noises

Here's the details of that end of the car.  Shortened, revalved DA Konis,
converted to true coilovers, 450lb/in front spring rates, stock front
swaybar with poly bushings, GC camber/caster plates, no crash bolts, 15x7"
wheels with 205/50 Falken tires and due to get new pads & rotors this week
at which point I will go over everything more thoroughly

The thunk only occurs upon shock extension, as when the tire runs into a
pothole.  It never utters an unexpected peep when compressing over bumps.
For the life of me I thought perhaps the top shaft nut was loose, allowing
the shock to "drop" a bit under extension.  But it is not loose.  Granted,
it's far from a quiet and supple ride with such stiff spring rates but I've
never heard this particular noise in the prior two years of running this
setup.

As far as I can tell, every nut & bolt in the suspension is tight with no
unusual or excessive wear in the suspension componants.

Any thoughts?  I've BCC'd several lists so you may see this message more
than once.

Thanks in advance.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
'98 Dodge Neon STS #69
www.geocities.com/eric10mm/KnuckleDragger
"In Paris they simply stared when I spoke to them in French;
I never did succeed in making those idiots understand their language."
Mark Twain