Re: ax-digest V1 #1163

To: pethier@isd.net, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ax-digest V1 #1163
From: PbPied@aol.com
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 10:06:47 EDT
You'll have to explain this one to me, Phil....

As a former racer running on ice without studs, I can tell
you that the hardest thing to do is to get a car to turn.
Low polar moment means easier to turn.  Easier to spin
also, perhaps, but that is where the studded tires come in.

>From my experience, the cars with high polar moment
tended to go straight off of corners, unless they really dropped
speed on entry.  Another advantage for FF: Light weight.  Easier
to brake, easier to accelerate.  The most successful ice racer
I ever saw was Hank Beachy's highly modified Mini.  It weighed
next to nothing, could turn on a dime, even on glare ice.  And even
though it had little power compared to some, Hank could start last
in a 10 lap race, and pass the entire field....  usually Twice!

I'd think an FF with studded tires on the ice would be a blast,
and quick, too!

Alan Sheidler
(not ready to run the shifter kart on a frozen lake)