Re: FM Protests...again (was: Service Manauls)

To: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>, "Mark J. Andy"
Subject: Re: FM Protests...again (was: Service Manauls)
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 01:19:49 -0500
Well, a PC is kinda like a jury, or an appellate court -- a group of
individuals who discuss the merits of a case and render a verdict/decision.

While it may indeed be entertaining -- perhaps even enlightening -- to know
details of the discussion, what usually comes out of such things is only
that verdict/decision. Jurors are instructed they don't need to talk about
their deliberations with anyone. Appellate and Supreme Court justices, as a
rule, do not. The PC is basically our sport's judicial system, and is
handling itself in similar manner.

It has less to do with controversy than the fact a decision has been
rendered and, at that point, any second-guessing would be moot (and often
counter-productive).

The decision itself, however, IS public record. The Supreme Court writes
lengthy decisions, which are not further argued with but are cited as
precedent. The PC is not quite so verbose, but the decisions are posted on
the results boards in Information for anyone to read. As are appeals
decisions, if rendered during the week. And all are also in the back of the
results book.

--Rocky Entriken (journalist, not lawyer, but covered the courts beat for 10
years)