Re: Friendly Compliance Checking Proposal

To: John Whitling <alliancemillsoft@worldnet.att.net>,
Subject: Re: Friendly Compliance Checking Proposal
From: "Patrick Washburn" <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 12:21:16 -0500
You would be giving up your right to protest a hidden thing based on
performance.  Take CM for instance. (Read on before jumping the gun.)  If I
put a clock on my competitors, who are all averaging 10 seconds on a
straight from cone A to cone B, and I see one car doing it in 8 seconds,
chances are something is up with that motor.  (Just a made up scenario...no
one in CM would ever even consider doing such a thing!)

I realize that performance is not a protestable item, I'm just saying that
an indicator might be evident based on what the car is doing on the course.
 (example: Limited slip looking launches off the corner exits.) You need to
protest specific things after that.  Otherwise, I like the idea.

Maybe having pre-run impound mandatory 1/2 hour before running will kill two
rule-birds with one stone!  ;)

> Jim,
> Perhaps it would be more interesting to have impound *before* you run
> (except for the weigh ins for mod and prep cars). If a car was protested
> then, the competitor could get a chance to fix it before he runs or bum
> a ride in another car. It would help to thwart weenie protests, such as
> you are referring to, that occured this year. A competitor would only be
> able to protest car illegalities during impound, not during the heat.
>
> I admit that first heat might be an issue we would have to work out.
>
> I have a hard time imagining who would be knowledgeable enough of all
> the rules in a class, other than the class competitors themselves.
>
> John Whitling
>
>Patrick Washburn
C-Tech Trailer Cabinets
Designed for the Racer