Re: 2002 Daily Driver

To: Larry Boardman <1thewebdr@attbi.com>
Subject: Re: 2002 Daily Driver
From: Paul Parkanzky <parkanz1@msu.edu>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 16:02:34 -0400
At 11:25 AM 9/14/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>I know my question is not AutoX related but there is a wealth of experience
>and knowledge in this group we can tap.  I am planning to buy a new daily
>driver and saw a left over 2002 demo car with 2K miles at a dealer that
>would fit my needs.  What I am trying to determine is a fair price.  The
>web sites I have checked still have the 2002 pricing but there is no
>mention of what the discount should be on a 2002 now that the 2003s are out.
>
>Base on the price the dealer gave me, he is discounting the MSRP about 5%
>from the original price and offering me the car at about 4% above the
>adjusted invoice.  I am sure that I can negotiate better but not having a
>good idea of what to base the price on puts me at a disadvantage. Any and
>all help is appreciated.  Thanks.
>
>LarryB
>98 Z-28 Camaro
>ESP (soon to be SM)

Larry,
         I don't know what kind of car you're looking at (and that matters
a lot), but I just bought two new 2002's (not demo's) for about $100 over
invoice each.  I wouldn't pay be willing to pay invoice for a domestic demo
car.  Edmunds.com gives you a good idea of what to pay for new cars, though
I find that I can always beat their TMV price by a few hundred dollars just
by doing some careful bargaining.  They don't tell you what you should pay
for a demo, but I would expect to subtract quite a bit from the price for
the same car 'new.'  Now if you're talking about a car from a company that
does not discount from MSRP it might be a good deal.

Good luck,

Paul Parkanzky
Michigan State University
parkanz1@msu.edu