RE: Street car - Taurus Question

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Street car - Taurus Question
From: "David Walker" <david.walker@lonemustang.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 23:58:58 -0700
> > << Wife's '97 Taurus has the 'check engine soon' light on. Otherwise the
> >  car has no visible symptoms or low fluids. >>
> >
> > I had the same thing happen on F-150 Ford pickup.

Same thing happened to my '97 SVT Cobra about four months ago.  Car ran
fine, but the light came on one day and stayed on steady for about a week.
Took it to an autocross, and some time during my first run, the light went
out and hasn't come back on since (except during the test sequence on
startup, of course).

My 92 Explorer's Check Engine light came on recently, though, and resulted
in some repair work at the Ford dealer.  At first they thought it was some
kind of a bad cam timing sensor expensive thingy, but it turned out to be a
bad plenum gasket (cheap, except for the labor to figure it out).  There had
been other symptoms, though, including rough idle on hot restarts and a
tendency to ping under load, all of which went away after the gasket was
replaced.

dw