Re: Why most autocrossers don't want their sport on TV

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Why most autocrossers don't want their sport on TV
From: jac73@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 14:14:09 -0500
Matt Murray said:

>And this comes from the guy who LIKES "Ship Shape TV."

Hey!  That's not entirely true.  I said that I've actually watched it
voluntarily.  There is a difference.

>> Probably the closest comparison to autocross, import drag racing gets a
>> half-hour show periodically on SpeedVision, but that's paid for entirely
by
>> sponsors like NOPI and is excruciatingly bad to watch

>I'm available! (And cheap, too!)

The dream-team for this would be BobT, RichF, MattM making it happen behind
the cameras/in the truck/in the edit booth, Roger Johnson (of many sheep)
doing color, Howard Duncan or Danny Shields doing play-by-play, and Ron
Bauer, Kevin Dietz, and {Larry MacLeod, Charlie Davis, Jim Crider -- I'd be
happy doing "tech" pieces} doing "pit/grid" reporting.  Playing the part of
John Force will be Scotty Bob White.  Playing herself would be The Fessler
Woman (I'm pretty sure Debbie Fessler would give a better interview than
either Shirley Muldowney, Lyn St. James, or Sarah Fisher.  She has far more
personality than those three combined).  Bruce Bellom and Phil Osborne can
be in charge of shooting Jack Arute and Paul Page if either gets within 100
yards of the event site.  We have the *personality* within our sport to
make for interesting *people* on TV, which is what will hook an audience
long-term.

That said, I still don't think it's a really great idea at this time.
Maybe develop on-site spectator base first?

Jim Crider
autojim@att.net

The information contained in this transmission, which may be
confidential and proprietary, is only for the intended recipients.
Unauthorized use is strictly prohibited. If you receive this
transmission in error, please notify me immediately by telephone
or electronic mail and confirm that you deleted this transmission
and the reply from your electronic mail system.