Re: Why most autocrossers don't want their sport on TV

Subject: Re: Why most autocrossers don't want their sport on TV
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 22:55:46 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Wed, 2 Jan 2002 bthatch@juno.com wrote:
> To summarize, all these proposals are just hot air until someone steps
> forward to put it all in motion. We've done a lot of the preliminary
> work, here in Atlanta, by doing some fine-tuning of the event format.
> Some time and effort would need to be put into proposing this format to
> some hot sponsors with the ability to get them to see the excitement. And
> probably that won't happen from the SCCA-national level. Probably some
> local level folks will have to demonstrate it's viability to get the ball
> rolling. So, now it is mirror on the wall time for me, isn't it?

:-)

I think a better market for you to propose such a thing to would be the
various racing promotors, wouldn't it?  They're used to advertising for
spectators, providing food, finding event sponsors, etc.  At a minimum I
wouldn't try to do it without someone like that.

Just so we're clear, I don't oppose additional events for "the cream of
the autocross crop".  What I _do_ oppose is changing our existing Pro,
Tour, and divisional formats to chase something that I think has a very
remote chance of success (where "success" == "the payback is worth the
hassle").

I've got a big loud american v8 with big slicks.  I'll come to your events
if I can.  But I won't prepare a car specifically for your classes until
some viability is demonstrated and I don't want to muck about with our
existing formats until viability is demonstrated either.

MHO.

Mark