Re: [Solo2Atlanta] Why most autocrossers don't want their sport

To: Smokerbros@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Solo2Atlanta] Why most autocrossers don't want their sport
From: bthatch@juno.com
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 10:19:20 -0500
On Sun, 23 Dec 2001 13:37:46 EST Smokerbros@aol.com writes:

> I think the Pro-Solo Handicap Challenges are the only thing that
> would fit.

Yep, in the current format, probably true. Still pretty complicated a
deal for a viewer to understand. You've got dial-ins, times added
together from two runs to determine the winner and the fact who comes
back to the finish first isn't always the winner. And you have 2
different courses with slightly different features that dictate timing
the two courses to determine the winner. This, of course, means you need
to run 2 separate runs to determine the complete time. These intricacies
make it difficult for the TV audience to grasp, IMO.

> You have cars catching and passing each other, and one marque vs.
> another.
> Having said that, we need to make sure there's plenty of SS, FS,
> ASP, BSP,
> ESP, BP and CP participation.  The camera angles need to be done
> well.  There
> needs to be one that shows the starts and finishes, and one that
> shows how
> fast one car is gaining on the other.  At the NASCAR race at Sears
> Point,
> they have had a camera suspended from a cable from Turn 11 up to
> Turn 1.
> That one, off to one side, would be great...

Does this thing move back and forth?

> Charlie

Ben