Re: Wheel / Tire suggestion

To: "Bonnett, Wayne A" <WABonnett@upslogistics.com>,
Subject: Re: Wheel / Tire suggestion
From: Andrew Schmiechen <aschmiechen@discovercolor.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 08:38:40 -0500
Wayne:

If you can stand to follow this advice, you'll be much further ahead in the
long run....Don't buy anything for the car now.  Coming in 12 out of 15
after your first solo event, I can guarantee you that you aren't using
10/10ths of the tires on your car now.  Stay on street tires, and run in
Novice for a while.  Take the money that you want to spend on wheels and
tires and go to as many schools and events as you can.  Autocross is 90%
driver, 5% car and 5% magic voodoo.  The only way you can get yourself up to
that 90% of the equation is with TONS of seat time.

There's also another reason not to jump to race tires.  Race tires are not
good for learning car control.  Street tires allow for more mistakes, and
give a lot of warning before giving way.  Race tires, will often break away
with little to no warning, making it more difficult to find the edge.  I've
seen Bad Things happen to rookies on slicks, including two wrecked cars.

After you've got a season under your belt, then start thinking about working
on the car.

-A.