Fwd: Z06/Big Brother

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: Z06/Big Brother
From: Z06Vetteran@aol.com
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 22:09:33 EDT
From: Z06Vetteran@aol.com
Full-name: Z06Vetteran
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 21:20:32 EDT
Subject: Z06/Big Brother
To: autox@autox.team.net

This is from a Vette forum and is probably what got the Big Brother thread
started:

<<Dear Dave Hill,

Congratulations on the 1,2 finish at La Mans! The Heartbeat of America is
truly strong. After watching many hours of the race on Sunday I couldnbt
wait
till I could jump into my own super car, strap myself in and roar on down the
highway toward winning that checker flag in my mind. But no, I had to wait.
Honey-do-stuff you know. The whole day gone. And here I sat with testosterone
running down my leg. But it was only going to get worse. Monday setting at a
light in downtown Tempe, Arizona. The MIL, check eng. light, came on and the
car had a faint rocking feel to it. Within a short amount of time the light
started flashing and the vibration became more pronounced and the car started
shaking like hell.

Fortunately I was close to home so I headed straight their. At this time my
Z06 has only has 4000 miles on it. First thing I did was connect the ATAP to
read codes. Misfiring on 2 & 7 hole. Checked plugs and wires with no
improvement. On Wednesday I had it taken to Chapman Chevrolet for service
five minutes from my house. I was told that it would be done Monday lat
afternoon. On Friday of that same week a good friend of mine who also has a
Z06 started having a terrible knocking sound in her car. I told her that I
just took mine to Chapman so she had hers towed their. I showed up Monday
(Day 5) and was told that it wasnbt done yet. But by 3 oclock we should have
something. No calls on Monday so on Tuesday, (Day 6) morning I showed up to
see where we were and was told that they were going to have to OPEN her up.
They donbt know why it has a dead #7 hole. Obviously not, because they
forgot
about #2 hole also. Again I was told late this afternoon we should have the
answers. Now on to my friends Z-car.

It only has 3700 miles on it and they think it has a spun bearing though they
are not sure. But here is the beginning of the story that is going to prove
most interesting. She calls to tell me that Mark Harris the Chevrolet Area
Manager is voiding her warrantee because it has been used for auto crossing.
And Chevrolet knows that it is true because they have been monitoring
Internet club sites like NCCC and NASA and been downloading race results that
are being posted. He also said it didnbt matter how the car was marketed it
states on page 4 of the warrantee paperwork ANY racing will void the total
warrantee of the car. On top of that, he said that Chevrolet was going to
make and example out of her by starting to enforce the NO RACE RULE. Forget
the advertising you put out about the car, forget the news releases to USA
Today quoting you say,b a car for the street, show and stripb, and even
forget the video that was in my glove compartment that tells me how to set up
your car for racing. What I really hear you saying now is byou let the beast
out and you are screwedb. Since I didnbt hear anything on Tuesday and
after
talking to my friend I was starting to sweat. What if they pull the same
thing on me?

On Wednesday (Day 7) I went I went to Chapman only this time I snuck into the
top secret service area 51, only to find that I had been lied to. They
hadnbt
opened it up. Fuel rail covers were off, injectors were partially
disconnected and exhaust was lose. There was a tech working on another car
that said they stopped working on my car because they got word from outside
the dealership. My service rep said that the head of the Corvette platform
himself, was dispatching two GM engineers to look at both cars. Is that true
Dave?

So now itbs Day 8 and still nothing. No problem being solved, no technicians
feverishly working to fix something, no car running and NO HAPPY CUSTOMER.
Just a yella Chevy with bird crap all over it. So what would you do? I looked
up the phone number for a towing company and the local police. Drove down to
the dealership and had them put the exhaust back up and load it up on the
wagon and put it in my carriage. BROKENb&I donbt know why I thought I might
need the police, maybe it was to keep me from taking hostages or killing
someone, webll never know. Ibm sure my problem will eventually sort itself
out but there is a much bigger problem for all of us. Let your mind run free
and expound on the No Race Rule, The little Black Box and the GM Police
prowling the Internet. Scary ainbt it. Say it isnbt so Daveb&

Sincerely;
Cheater Gone, but not for long. >>
B  B