Re: Audi does it again!

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Audi does it again!
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 14:02:54 -0400
Here's some interesting calculations ref fuel consumption and race cars:

OK, my turbo Talon has 51 lbs/hour injectors, 4 of them.

Translate that into gallons/hr (at 7.5 lbs/gallon of gasoline) that's a
total fuel flow capacity of 27.2 gallons/hr.

Maximum injector duty cycle is limited to 85%, so that's 23.12 gallons/hr.

Max duty cycle only occurs at full boost and high RPM, and a full lap of
LeMans isn't done on the rev limiter in 5th, so actual fuel consumption is
somewhat less than that - let's call it 50% as a rough guess. So a race lap
is consuming an estimated 12 gallons an hour.

Total fuel consumption is thus 288 gallons for the full race. With a 16
gallon tank (and assuming that the tank is completely emptied as we pull in
for each stop) that is 18 fuel stops. Assuming $3.50 /gallon for race fuel,
total fuel costs for the race are $1008.

An accurate guess on tire wear is hard to pull off, but it looked to me
like the big boys were changing tires once every two stops. Assume
full-tread Kumhos (so we don't have to worry about rains vs inters vs dry)
in the size I race now (275-17) That's 9 sets of tires, or 36 tires total.
At $160 per tire, that's a tire bill of $5760.

Whee! This is fun! I couldn't afford to run _my_ car at LeMans, never mind
one that might be actually competitive!

DG

The information contained in this transmission, which may be
confidential and proprietary, is only for the intended recipients.
Unauthorized use is strictly prohibited. If you receive this
transmission in error, please notify me immediately by telephone
or electronic mail and confirm that you deleted this transmission
and the reply from your electronic mail system.